RSS

Day for my dad.

01 Nov

It seems odd and strange to say but I have become somewhat used to the chaos and direness here in Port-au-Prince.  I know what to expect when I come here. I know how bad the situation is and, not to be too cold, but rarely does it become personal or overly emotional anymore. I’ve become accustomed to it.

But yesterday was an exception.

Yesterday shook me.

I felt my father’s history in my journey.

It caught me off-guard.  Overwhelmed me.

At times, I broke down.

It was the morning visit to an orphanage. There are a lot of orphanages in Haiti. It’s known as “the land of a million orphans.”

This one was different in that the children are being cared for by a former orphan.  In fact, the only way the children could get in to the compound was if they had lost one or both of their parents.

They were being cared for in dorm rooms with the best that could be provided. It wasn’t much.

Made me embarrassed and tearful to think of anytime I ever complained about hotel rooms or ply counts on sheets.  More so, in each child’s eyes I could see dad’s. I could see my own kids. And it broke me.

The shining light here is the extraordinary people committing their lives to look after these special children.

The school we visited was like that too. Dedicated teachers working with children in an outdoor classroom.

Makes you think that, hope that there’s a child among them that will some day change this place.

From there I put on a political hat and met with the leader of the Haitian senate.  It felt like I was continuing my family’s history and journey but through different eyes, in a much different place. Here, there’s devastation. There’s unforgiving poverty. But I gotta believe there is always, always hope.

I find it back at the hospital.

The team was incredibly busy.  Greg Browne saved the life of a woman run over by a car.  She lost her leg but will live to be fitted with a prosthesis.

Nurses and ER docs treating multiple injuries from an orphanage that partially collapsed.  Thank god the injuries were not fatal.  Little victories.

Pediatric nurses continued what seems to be at times an acute care pediatric only hospital. So many sick kids.

Ask me why I keep coming back here and I think about those kids. I see all of the world’s potential in their eyes. I see dad’s journey. I see my journey. Most of all, I see hope.

Tomorrow can be better.

Tomorrow will be better.

– Andrew

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

9 Comments

Posted by on November 1, 2013 in Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

9 responses to “Day for my dad.

1. Maureen

November 1, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Very moving . There is always hope. And, it is brought to Haiti by groups such as Broken Earth. Compassion, dedication , expertise and HOPE = Broken Earth. Take care to all the team.

2. marilee pittman

November 1, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Loved your entry. What good work you are doing. Wish I were able to help.

3. Doreen

November 1, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Andrew, all your blogs are so interesting and so inspiring. Anyone reading them should be so inspired to be part of these great group of people. So very proud of you.

4. marbken

November 1, 2013 at 9:24 pm

This was such a touching introspective journal entry. You have reminded us all that the things that are important in life are not “things”. I know that your parents are so proud of you and have every right to be. I am reminded of a saying “Parents who feel lucky in their children often have children who are lucky in their parents”. God Bless.

5. cathywalsh

November 1, 2013 at 11:09 pm

all of ye are amazing people to do what you do, and i am so proud to say i know some of ye. i wish i could go there and help also

6. Mabella whitten

November 2, 2013 at 1:42 am

You are all Gods angels doing his work on earth.

7. joanne

November 2, 2013 at 2:01 pm

the work you have done and continue to do is so inspiring………

8. Janet

November 3, 2013 at 7:44 pm

…and now you are the dad,Andrew. One day their journey will be a reflection of what you have shown them. There is hope.

9. Phyllis Reradon

November 3, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Andrew, so moving. Thank you for your work, dedication and caring. Phyllis Reardon