RSS

It’s the surprises that you never see coming…

03 Apr

One thing you can count on in Haiti is that the place will change you. And just when you think you’ve seen it all, it manages to somehow surprise you again.

Yesterday was one of those days.

In my job I don’t often see sick children in orthopedics.  It’s just not a routine part of my practice and when I saw an 8 year-old child (my daughter’s age) with a neglected leg wound that had exposed her entire shin, well, it just hit me so bloody hard. Sadly, she needed an amputation and will survive because of it, but cutting an 8 year-old’s leg off for a treatable infection is not a procedure I ever wanted to be part of and believe me, it hurt us both.

I know, I know. Gotta keep my spirits up. As the sun broke through the clouds, I got to watch my sister work in the surgery unit. That’s a very special experience for me.  Family matters so much to me, to us all. She is younger than me but so much stronger than she knows and better than I will ever be. So proud of her and so glad she’s here.

The team has been going all out. The nurses are really the true heroes.  They work without us but we can’t work with out them!

The CBC coverage has been great and Anthony Germain has gelled well with the team. His coverage will go a long way to shed light on what needs to be done here. Haiti needs help, we need help.   We can’t do it alone so I always hope this will continue to be the momentum for change.

Keep thinking of that little girl’s leg. If this were home, it would not have come to this. I can’t write anymore today.

– Andrew

ImageImageImageImageImage

6 Comments

Posted by on April 3, 2014 in Uncategorized

Tags: , , , ,

6 responses to “It’s the surprises that you never see coming…

1. Arlene Scott

April 3, 2014 at 12:29 am

Hey Andrew,

Rough day for sure….stay strong and take comfort in knowing that the little trout and so many more like her will have a brighter tomorrow because of you and your team.

So proud if you all!!!!

Say hi to Jackie for me

Arlene

2. Michelle Murphy

April 3, 2014 at 12:38 am

A heart wrenching story………keep smiling and always remember all the positives you are bringing with you……the team is amazing and every team faces new challenges but without Team Broken Earth, what would they have? Where would they be? What you do is above and beyond…….

3. maggiepurchase

April 3, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Dear Andrew, Our thoughts and prayers are with you. God bless you and the team.
    Maggie and David Purchase.

4. maggiepurchase

April 3, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Dear Andrew, Our thoughts and prayers are with you. God bless you and the team,
    Maggie

5. Doreen

April 3, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Andrew, you are truly doing great work. I so enjoy your blogs, you write with such great emotion and feelings. Rebecca too is a wonderful person she has such a caring way about her, Both of you truly care about the people you look after. Be safe , love to both of you.
    Doreen

6. Marilyn Warford

October 6, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Dr.Furey …….you are a strong person and don’t ever forget that…..